Nespolo del Giappone

For people outside Italy, to allow them to get in touch with the Italian Fruit Community in a more accessible environment. The official laguage of this section of Fruttama is English.
alanmercieca
Provincia: Estero (Outside Italy)

Re: Nespolo del Giappone

Messaggio da alanmercieca »

Thank you for telling me, 'Nespolone di Trabia' is supposed to be 1/8 sweeter than 'Tanaka', also 'Nespolone di Trabia' is supposed to start ripening about 8 days after 'Tanaka' starts to ripen, what shape was the fruit of the so called 'Nespolone di Trabia'? The real 'Tanaka' is supposed to be very good, yet not as good as the very best varieties. Yes Michael.

'Nespolone di Trabia' starts rippening in Sicily, around May 3rd

'Tanaka' starts rippening in Sicily, around April 25th
christian
Provincia: Ancona
Zona USDA: 9a

Messaggio da christian »

@alanmercieca
Don't remember the exact date, but Tanaka did ripen later.
But Tanaka is planted in a much darker location, it's in full sun but below the canopy of other trees so it gets filtered sunlight, I don't think it's at his full potential and could also be the reason it ripen later.
It's still early to judge however, just one year in ground.
I also have a Nespola grossa di Palermo from Squadrito nursery and seem identical to Nespolone di Trabia.
They are both quite small, so either the fruit didn't develop fully or both plants are wrong, since both names imply they are big. Grossa=Big, Nespolone=Big Nespolo.
alanmercieca

Odd every nespole variety that I have seen that was named after having big fruit has Gigante in the name which also means big, oh and I had no idea that Nespolone meant big Nespolo. Yes, it's normal for fruit trees in general to take many years to have their true fruit. Yet they could just be seedlings of the original varieties that they say they are.

A part of what the Squadrito nursery says for 'Nespolo Grosso di Palermo' "The ripening of the fruits, like the flowering, is very anticipated: in March-April in the milder areas." Ripening March-April is way earlier than 'Nespolone di Trabia' and than 'Tanaka' is supposed to ripens, yet cropping can very each year depending on yearly climate changes. The following nursery says 'April and May' ripening, which is when both 'Nespolone di Trabia' and 'Tanaka' start to ripen. Per vedere i link effettua il login! - Please Login to see links!. The following nursery has the same exact description and photo that 'Squadrito' has Per vedere i link effettua il login! - Please Login to see links!.

There is a 'Nespolone di Palermo', maybe 'Nespolo Grosso di Palermo' is a seedling of 'Nespolone di Palermo', and maybe 'Nespolo Grosso di Palermo' was named after the parent tree, rather than because of the size of it's fruit! The only mentioning I have found of 'Nespolo Grosso di Palermo' was done by the nurseries that sell the trees, and in this thread.
Nino
Provincia: Palermo
Zona USDA: 10a

Messaggio da Nino »

alanmercieca ha scritto:
lunedì 2 novembre 2020, 3:37
... 'Nespolone di Trabia' ...
Hi Alan,
next week I hope to go to the University of Palermo to ask some informations about the varieties of "nespole" you are looking for.
Nino
Palermo, zona climatica 9b (USDA)
alanmercieca

I have e-mailed you tonight for the second time. Did you get any of the 2 e-mails? I will also message you on here.
Pancrazio
Provincia: Firenze
Zona USDA: 8b

Messaggio da Pancrazio »

@alanmercieca it better if you mention @Nino if you want to be sure he will notice your messages.
Quello che non si condivide, si perde.
Nino
Provincia: Palermo
Zona USDA: 10a

Messaggio da Nino »

Siamo in contatto via e-mail.
Nino
Palermo, zona climatica 9b (USDA)
alanmercieca

Pancrazio ha scritto:
mercoledì 18 novembre 2020, 1:43
@alanmercieca it better if you mention @Nino if you want to be sure he will notice your messages.
Thank you for that, I keep forgetting that I can quote, yet luckily he had seen my response on here fast, and he found my e-mail. @Pancrazio
Rispondi