Nespolo del Giappone

For people outside Italy, to allow them to get in touch with the Italian Fruit Community in a more accessible environment. The official laguage of this section of Fruttama is English.
Rispondi
alanmercieca
Provincia: Estero (Outside Italy)

Nespolo del Giappone

Messaggio da alanmercieca »

A friend of mine in Germany loves to grow Nespolone (Nespola). He grows them for personal consumption and for propagating, to share with other people in the EU. He is interested in cuttings of 'Nespolo del Giappone'. Since I have been doing lots of research on 'Nespolo del Giappone' I have volunteered to ask around for him.

The 'University of Palermo' has been totally unhelpful. I am starting to think that maybe they destroyed all of their 'Nespolo del Giappone' plants, I followed their advice and tried to contact nurseries, that appears to be a total failure as well. None of them seem to have any local Nespolo. Does anyone know where my friend can buy any 'Nespolo del Giappone' cuttings?

He'd prefer late cropping Sicilian varieties like

01) 'Nespolone di Trabia'
02) 'Marchetto'

Yet anything special that is not late cropping he'd be interested in as well like

01) 'Nespolone di Palermo' (seems special, I have no idea if it's a late cropper or not)
02) 'Nespolone vaniglia' varieties.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, I have a long list of 'Nespolo del Giappone' varieties, yet I can find very little information for most of those varieties, and most likely there are lesser known great varieties.

Thank you for your time.
Pancrazio
Provincia: Firenze
Zona USDA: 8b

Re: Nespolo del Giappone

Messaggio da Pancrazio »

Dear @alanmercieca in my experience, the hope to find a well structured way to get heirloom varieies, in italy, it's pretty slim. This is one of the reason why the forum started, in order to share knowledge on this matter.

More than anything, universities are not structured and/or interested to take care of hobbists. You might like it or not: but this is the situation. Yes, they might well have destroyed all their plants, i wouldn't be surprised a tiny bit.

Sicily has an HUGE fruit diversity but very few (if any) nursery exists focused on heirloom varieties reproduced with modern tecniques and with hobbists in mind. The only nursery from Sicily wich focuses on reproducting heirloom fruits, Per vedere i link effettua il login! - Please Login to see links! as far as i know, doesn't ship.
Yes, it's crazy.

Coming to Eriobotrya, i was looking for Marchetto too ad as soon as i find it I'll try to make it available. For that one, you might be out of luck.
For nespolone di trabia though gabbanelli has a plant:
Per vedere i link effettua il login! - Please Login to see links!
They are out of stock now, but they might be back in stock.
A very nice clone has been discovered by one of the forum user and hopefully will become more widespread in next years. Then names has been given as "Imperiale" viewtopic.php?t=3024
Quello che non si condivide, si perde.
alanmercieca

Hello @Pancrazio, thank you for your response.

I have contacted 'Petraviva Madonie', I am waiting for a response from them.

I am not sure if 'Vivai Piante Gabbianelli' has the real 'Nespolone di Trabia', Nespolone di Trabia is not supposed to have round fruit, and the fruit is supposed to be sweet.

No university was designed to assist home growers, or hobbyists, yet the agriculture based portions of universities were designed to help keep varieties from going extinct, many do assist home growers if they feel that they can help keep the varieties from going extinct, and if they have enough plant material to spare. I know that in other parts of Europe there are universities that do assist home growers under reasonable situations, I am guessing that in Italy they just don't get funded as well.

I can see that you are one of the people distributing the 'Nespolo Imperiale'

I also can see that @Nino's uncle has a great sounding variety, I wonder if it's a Sicilian variety, viewtopic.php?p=32568#p32568

I am using google translate to read other parts of the forum, yet that does not always work well, so I hope that someone can translate for me, if google translate does not work well, if someone responds to me and does not understand English.
Lory
Provincia: Modena
Zona USDA: 9a

Messaggio da Lory »

In my area (north italy not really the best one to grow nespolo) i know just one tree that is bearing consistently very good quality fruits but it's a seedling and not a named variety so i can't help you
Lorenzo
Pancrazio
Provincia: Firenze
Zona USDA: 8b

Messaggio da Pancrazio »

I can't really tell if "nespolone di trabia" sold by gabbanelli is the real deal, i think that best bet should be asking to Palermo nurseries, but good luck finding one that ships. I attempted to do some research there last time i went in Sicily but with no results. According to Nino, Palermo isn't even the hot spot for Nespolo, rather the countryside around Trapani is the place were should the production be in place from most time and best varieties are.

Regarding universities, i'm not a softie with them. While i understand that helping home growers is not part of their mission, i do think that any conservation effort which is based on clonal collection only, either is blessed with strong redundancy, or it's destined to fail on the long run. What if there's a flood and the collection gets lost? or a war? a cut on funding? After all, a well known fact is that, for endangered species, ex situ conservation efforts are mostly unsuccessful, and the "in situ" of heirloom varieties is in the hands of farmers. I don't say that university should think about this, but someone should definitively do. And right now in italy NO ONE does. This looks pretty unfair, once you consider that universities neither discovered, neither preserved such clones in first place, but farmers did (not companies-not professors). For who are they preserving them then?

Regarding Nino's uncle plants, they are all gone, Nino has some plants in his own garden but i don't remember how he got them. I'm not giving more detail because afaik Nino understand English and if he wants he might add his view on the matter which refers to him personally.

I have also a nespolo vaniglia with big fruits discovered by gugly, but the plants are small, and for the vaniglia, just 1 plants surives, so i'll take some time before sharing, first i have to secure them in order to not lost them.
Quello che non si condivide, si perde.
alanmercieca

I may have found what appears to be the variety 'Nespolone gigante bianco' Per vedere i link effettua il login! - Please Login to see links!, the nursery is located in Trapani

I fully understand about having to wait to share, plants grow at their own speed.

In the Maltese Islands they have two government plant nurseries, they do have some actual Maltese plants on their own land that they reproduce, yet many of the plants they sell in their nurseries originate from the cuttings that farmers send them every year. In Malta just like the rest of the world farmers are abandoning traditional varieties, as well as pests, and weather can be hard on the plants.

The 'University of Palermo' had 2 or more fields with Nespolone to test them, yet it would not surprise me if they destroyed those plants trusting farmers to keep those plants from going extinct, they are so poorly funded that they have no idea who may still have those varieties, they could not even suggest one plant nursery. It's basically their jobs to study plants that will go extinct, not sure the point of that. It is very frustrating, the nurseries in Malta that I speak of exist to preserve their local varieties, or to at least give the impression that they are, yes they are a nursery that provides to the Maltese people yet if the farmers were to no longer be preserving the varieties then the nurseries all of a sudden would become useless, then it would be totally up to the people who already got plants from them, to keep them from going extinct.

I had contacted every Palermo nursery that I could find any online contact information for, long before I registered with this forum, none of them appear to have any local varieties of Nespolone, yet there were some that can only be called on the phone or visited.
Nino
Provincia: Palermo
Zona USDA: 10a

Messaggio da Nino »

Hello @alanmercieca , where are you from?
I have an unnamed loquat cultivar, its fruit size is medium, but the quality is excellent. Unfortunately my uncle died 16 years ago and his tree was destroyed after a few months later.
If you are interested in other varieties, please send me a list, I will go to the University to try to get the informations you need. I hope to go in person will make it easier. I can try also to contact on your behalf "Petraviva Madonie" and some other plant nurseries, maybe some interesting cultivars are still available. If you agree I will send you my e-mail address by private message.
Nino
Palermo, zona climatica 9b (USDA)
alanmercieca

Thank you. Petraviva Madonie did not respond to me, I did look at photos of theirs though, and all I had seen that was interesting to me is 'Melograno Dente di Cavallo', which is not Nespolo yet Melograno is something that a lot of people are interested in, including my friend in Germany, also I have learned that 'Melograno Dente di Cavallo' is very close to a pomegranate variety that used to be on the Island of Malta, most likely they are related, as you know 'Dente di Cavallo' means 'horse teeth', the variety in Malta 'ta Snien il Baghal (means "teeth of the mule"), the description of the Malta one almost perfectly matches with 'Melograno Dente di Cavallo', I have compared photos of the two, they look almost identical, of course things like climate, amount of sun, soil nutrients and so on can effect the fruit, also there are different versions of pomegranates as well. In those photos they had a Common variety of Medlar, which are called 'Nespolo comune' in Italy, yet I did not see any of the 'nespolo giapponese' in Petraviva Madonie's photos.

I am looking around for a friend of mine who lives in Germany. Yet he is the type of person who tries to help preserve varieties so once the plants he gets are well established, he will start sharing cuttings with people, he sends lots of cuttings to other people in Europe. He is more in to growing what Italians call Melograno than anything else, yet lately he's starting to get more and more interested in what Italians call 'nespolo giapponese'. Sure message me your e-mail address. I can send you more details there.
Nino
Provincia: Palermo
Zona USDA: 10a

Messaggio da Nino »

Hi,
my e-mail address is dimmy55@gmail.com
Regards,
Giuseppe (Nino) Di Martino
Nino
Palermo, zona climatica 9b (USDA)
christian
Provincia: Ancona
Zona USDA: 9a

Messaggio da christian »

I have Nespolone Di Trabia from Gabbianelli.
This summer after 1 year in the ground it made several fruits but they were quite small, maybe they will improve with time but I doubt they will ever become larger than normal.
I have Tanaka from the same nursery and it's a whole another level imho.
The plant is better looking, the fruit is slightly bigger, better pulp/seed ratio and they are less tart when non properly ripe.
Both of them 1 year in ground.
Is your friend Michael, the pomegranate collector?
Rispondi